Welcome to another great year at Abraar and the last year of middle school InshAllah !
Unit 1 Poetry:
For Language Arts, we are beginning our first unit of study on poetry. We will be looking at the following aspect of poetry to examine the following questions:
- What is Poetry?
- What are the various types of poems?
- What are the various forms of poetry?
- What are poetic conventions?
- What is figurative language?
- How can we analyze poetic verses?
- How can we write our own poetry of various forms using poetic conventions?
Throughout this unit, we hope to answer all the above questions in as much detail as possible though various activities. Students will be given the opportunity to listen, to read, and to reflect on various poems in class. Furthermore, they will be given several assignments which will allow them to create their own poems which will become part of their Poetry Portfolio. It's going to be a lot of hard work but it will also be worth while!
I am eager to see how creative they can be! :)
Unit 1: The Confederation
For Social Studies, we will begin a unit that examines the Confederation era roughly from 1860 to 1873. We will work together to examine the following key points in our history:
- What political factors, peoples, events, and geographical realities led to the creation and growth of Canada?
- How was Canada in 1867 different from Canada today in terms of political, social and other issues?
- How can we use the inquiry process to answer historical questions?
Students will engage in classroom discussions, chapter reading assignment that require reflection and answering questions, analyzing graphs and creating their own graphs accordingly,examining population statistics, comparing and contrasting " Canada then and now" activities, learning key vocabulary as well as a unit reviews followed by a unit test. All activities and homework assigned will reflect the three main "big ideas" of the unit and allow for a better understanding of the Confederation as an important part of our history.
Hajar A. Boutaleb BA (Hons), BEd., OCT